sábado, 17 de octubre de 2009

tragic songs of life - letras

Álbum: Tragic Songs of Life (1956)
Artista: The Louvin Brothers

No hay ma
nera de encontrar en la web las letras de este disco juntitas para cantarlas como un poseso, así que he tenido que hacer una compilación que espero que guste (al menos a mí me hará el apaño, jeje)

1. Kentucky
2. I'll Be All Smiles Tonight
3. Let Her Go, God Bless Her
4. What Is Home Without Love
5. Tiny Broken Heart, A
6. In The Pines
7. Alabama
8. Katie Dear
9. My Brother's Will
10. Knoxville Girl
11. Take The News To Mother
12. Mary Of The Wild Moor


Kentucky

Kentucky you are the dearest land outside of Heaven to me
Kentucky your laurels and your red bud trees
When I die I want to rest upon your graceful mountain so high
Kentucky that is where God will look for me

Kentucky I miss the darkest singing in the silvery moonlight
Kentucky I miss the hound dog chasing coon
I know that my mother dad & sweetheart all are waiting for me
Kentucky I will be coming soon

Kentucky I will be coming soon.

I'll Be All Smiles Tonight

I'll deck my brow with roses
My true love may be there
And gems that others gave me
Will shine within my hair
And even them that know me
Will think my heart is light
Though my heart may break tomorrow
I'll be all smiles tonight

chorus: I'll be all smiles tonight, love,
I'll be all smiles tonight
Though my heart may break tomorrow
I'll be all smiles tonight.

And when the room he entered
The bride upon his arm
I stood and gazed upon him
As though he were a charm
And then he smiled upon her
As once he smiled on me
They know not what
I suffered
They found no change in me

chorus

And when the dance is over
And all have gone to rest
I'll think of him, dear mother
The one that I love best
He once did love, believe me
But now he's cold and strange
He sought not to deceive me
False friends have brought this change

chorus

Let Her Go, God Bless Her

Let her go, let her go, God bless her
She's mine everywhere she may be
She may ramble this wide world all over
But she'll never find a friend like me

I went to church last Sunday
I saw my old true love there
And I knew her mind was a'changin'
From the way that she done up her hair

[chorus]

I'm going to the races
To see my pony run
And if I win any green back
We're sure gonna have some fun

[chorus]

Sometimes I live in the country
Sometimes I live in town
But sometimes I take a good notion
To jump in the river and drown

[chorus]

What Is Home Without Love

Sad and alone in a mansion
No loving wife to caress
Sat a man sad and lonely
No loving wife's lips to kiss
She married him for (possessions?)
No love in her heart had she
Sad and alone, in his fine home
He looked all around him and said

What is home without a baby?
To love and to tease and adore?
What is home without a sweet wife?
To kiss you each night at the door?
What is home without sunshine?
To spread its bright rays from above?
You can have wealth and its pleasures
But what is home without love?

Walking down the streets one evening
He passed by a cottage so neat
Stopped and looked in the window
He saw there a picture so sweet
A husband, a wife, and a baby
They were hugging and kissing too
He turned aside, his tears to cry
And from his lips came these words

A Tiny Broken Heart

He was just a little farm lad so busy at play
In his little play house down by the gate
He stopped to watch a truck that was parking next door
At the home of his tiny playmate

Then he saw his Daddy watching too
As the man swiftly walked to the cottage door
He knew they were strangers that come from the town
Men he had never seen before

They soon were at their work and he heard his Daddy say
Our neighbors are moving today
Oh no he cried dear God don't let it be
They can't take my sweetheart away

I know Dad that you don't understand
How a heart so young can conceive a plan
I'm only seven now but it's just like you said
Dad someday I'll be a man

The man who runs the farm where your playmate now lives
He told me it'd have to be this way
For winter time has come and their work is all done
So now they are moving away

Let us buy the farm so they can stay
Give them all my toys that dear Santa gave
And give him the pennies in my little piggy bank
Pennies that my darling helped me save.


In The Pines

In the pines, in the pines, where the sun never shines
And you shiver when the cold wind blows
little girl, little girl, what have i done
that's made you treat me so

You've caused me to weep, you've caused me to mourn
You've caused me to leave my home
In the pines, in the pines, where the sun never shines
And you shiver when the cold wind blows

The longest train I ever saw
Went down that Georgia Line
The engine passed at six o'clock
and the cab went by at nine

In the pines, in the pines, where the sun never shines
And you shiver when the cold wind blows

The longest train I ever saw
was 19 holters long
the only girl i ever loved
is on that train and gone

In the pines, in the pines, where the sun never shines
And you shiver when the cold wind blows

Alabama

Alabama
your beautiful sunlight
Your fields of cerecea potatoes and corn
Alabama
your crimson red clover
All mingled around the old place I was born.

Alabama
your hills and your valleys
Your creeks with laughter as onward they flow
Alabama
so sweet in the springtime
Sweet ferns and wild flowers and winter with snow.

Alabama
so sweet to my mem'ry
You shine like a light on a beautiful hill
Alabama
in days of my childhood
I labored and toiled at the old sorghum mill

Alabama
when red leaves are failing
I roam through your pastures with fences of rail
Alabama
when 'possums are crawling
And hound dogs are howling and wagging their tails.

Alabama
your beautiful highways
All curved through the mountains where love ones do wait
Alabama
your golden rod flower;
And the "Welcome home' sign hanging over the gate

Alabama
to me you are callin'
My footsteps are haltered no longer to stray
Alabama
you hold all I long for
You hold all I love so I'm coming today

Katie Dear

Oh Katy dear, go ask your mother
If you can be a bride of mine
If she says yes, come back and tell me
If she says no, we'll run away

Oh Willie dear, there's no use in asking
She's in her room, up taking rest
And by her side lies a silver dagger
To slay the one that I love best

Oh Katy dear, go and ask your father
If you can be a bride of mine
If he says yes, come on back and tell me
If he says no, we'll run away

Oh Willie dear, there's no use in asking
For he's there too, up taking rest
And by his side lies that golden dagger
To slay the one that I love best

Then he picked up that silver dagger
And plunged it through his troubled heart
Saying goodbye Katy, goodbye darling
The time has come for us to part

Then she picked up that bloody dagger
And stove it through her lily white breast
Saying goodbye pa, goodbye mama
I'll die with the one that I love best

My Brother's Will

My brother and I were out hunting
A stray bullet made him its mark
I carried him back to the cabin
His life nothing more than a spark

He whispered to me very softly
Dear brother, I'm going away
So listen and come to me closely
There's so much that I have to say
My sweetheart, her dear name is Sally
Her mother and father have died
She's waiting alone in the valley
When I left her, oh how she cried

I promised to bring her my fortune
Return to the valley and wed
But I've had a call from my maker
So I'll have to go there instead

He gave me the ring he had bought her
And told of the plans they had made
He spoke of how long she had waited
And for his return, how she prayed

He gave me a small piece of paper
The will he had made for this day
I promised to do as he wanted
The Good Lord would show me the way

He gave me his home in the valley
And all of the money he had
He asked me to marry his Sally
And promise she'd never be sad

But once long ago we were rivals
For I loved her too from the start
I'd made up my mind to stay single
For Sally had broken my heart

My dear brother went up to heaven
And I went to our valley home
But Sally had married another
So what's left for me but to roam?

I pray the good Lord up above me
To keep Brother's faith in me still
His Sally was fickle, unfaithful
That's why I broke my brother's will.

Knoxville Girl

I met a little girl in Knoxville, a town we all know well,
And every Sunday evening, out in her home I'd dwell,
We went to take an evening walk about a mile from town,
I picked a stick up off the ground and knocked that fair girl down.

She fell down on her bended knees for mercy she did cry,
Oh Willy dear don't kill me here, I'm unprepared to die,
She never spoke another word, I only beat her more,
Until the ground around me within her blood did flow.

I took her by her golden curls and I drug her round and around,
Throwing her into the river that flows through Knoxville town,
Go down, go down, you Knoxville girl with the dark and rolling eyes,
Go down, go down, you Knoxville girl, you can never be my bride.

I started back to Knoxville, got there about midnight,
My Mother she was worried and woke up in a fright,
Saying "Dear son, what have you done to bloody your clothes so?"
I told my anxious Mother, I was bleeding at my nose.

I called for me a candle to light myself to bed,
I called for me a hankerchief to bind my aching head,
Rolled and tumbled the whole night through, as troubles was for me,
Like flames of hell around my bed and in my eyes could see.

They carried me down to Knoxville and put me in a cell,
My friends all tried to get me out but none could go my bail,
I'm here to waste my life away down in this dirty old jail,
Because I murdered that Knoxville girl, the girl I loved so well.

Take The News To Mother

While the shot and shells were scattering
All o'er the battlefield
While the boys in France were fighting
To save their noble flag

Save their flag or give their lives
All for their country and home
They brought him back and heard him say
I can no longer stay

Go take the news to Mother
For she knows how well I love her
Kiss her dear sweet lips for me
Tell her I'm not coming home

Oh tell my darling sweetheart
That her lips I'll kiss no more
For this battlefield is awful
I'm sure I'll see her no more

Now, I'd love to see my mother
Kneeling by the old hearth stone
But I'm in this hell right here on earth
And her prayer I'll hear no more

Go take the news to Mother
For she knows how well I love her
Kiss her dear sweet lips for me
Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmmmm

Tell her I'm not coming home.

Mary Of The Wild Moor

It was on one cold winter night
When the wind blew across the wild moor

When Mary came wandering home with her child

Till she came to her own father's door

Father, dear father, she cried
Come down and open the door
Or the child in my arms, will perish and die
From the winds that blow across the wild moor

But her father was deaf to her cry
Not a sound of her voice, did he hear
So the watch dog did howl and the village bells tolled
And the wind blew across the wild moor

Oh, how the old man must have felt
When he came to the door, the next mornin'
And he found Mary dead, but the child still alive
Closely grasping his dead mother's arms

In grief the old man passed away
And the child to its mother went soon
And no one they say, lives there to this day
And the cottage to ruin has gone

But the villagers point out the spot
Where the willows grew over the door
Saying there Mary died, once the gay village bride
From the wind that blow across the wild moor.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario